Quotes : Books
Quotes : Books
Quotes : About books
Hello ! Dear readers, viewers, students & internet fan all over the world ! Warm welcome to this post. Here, I am sharing the thoughts of some great personalities regarding ‘Book’. Hope, you all will enjoy it reading.
In some quotes, some words in bold indicate some specific idea kept together.
Just read below, what the great personalities say in praise of ‘Books’ : →
- Book is a non-periodical printed publication of at least forty-nine (49) pages, exclusive of cover pages —- UNESCO (1964).
- A book is a gift you can open again and again.— Garrison Keillor (American author, storyteller, humorist, voice actor, and radio personality ).
- You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend. — Paul Sweeney ( MP in UK parliament)
- There are worst crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them — Ray Bradbury ( American author and screenwriter)
· There is no friend as loyal as a book — Ernest Hemingway (American novelist, short story writer, and journalist ).
- From your parents you learn love and laughter and how to put one foot before the other. But when books are opened you discover that you have wings. — Helen Hayes (American actress)
- One must always be careful of books,” said Tessa, “and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us — Cassandra Clare (American author)
- Books are the perfect entertainment: no commercials, no batteries, hours of enjoyment for each dollar spent — Stephen King (American author of horror, supernatural fiction, suspense, science fiction, and fantasy ).
- A house without books is like a room without windows — Horace Mann— Heinrich Mann ( German writer )
- A room without books is like a body without a soul. — Marcus Tullius Cicero ( ancient Roman poloitician and lawyer)
- If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. — Marcus Tullius Cicero ( ancient Roman poloitician and lawyer)
- The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page — Augustine (ancient Roman philosopher)
- A well-composed book is a magic carpet on which we are wafted to a world that we cannot enter in any other way. — Caroline Gordon (1895-1981, American novelist)
- The difference between where you are today and where you will be five years from now will be found in the quality of books you have read. — Jim Rohn (legendary motivational speaker of USA)
- A novel is never anything, but a philosophy put into images. — Jim Rohn (legendary motivational speaker of USA)
- Books are easy to find and easy to buy. A paperback these days only cost six or seven dollars. You can borrow that from your kids. — Jim Rohn (legendary motivational speaker of USA)
- Books are what you step on to take you to a higher shelf. The higher your stack of books, the higher the shelf you can reach. Want to reach higher ? Stack some more books under your feet. — Jim Rohn (legendary motivational speaker of USA)
- If we encounter a man of rare intellect, we should ask him what books he reads. — Ralph Waldo Emerson (legendary motivational speaker of USA)
- Every burned book enlightenes the world. — Ralph Waldo Emerson (legendary motivational speaker of USA)
- Some books leave us free, and some books make us free. — Ralph Waldo Emerson (legendary motivational speaker of USA)
- Day of days when we can read ! The reader and the book, either without the other is not. — Ralph Waldo Emerson (legendary motivational speaker of USA)
- Each age, it is found, must write its own books; or rather, each generation for the next succeeding. — Ralph Waldo Emerson (legendary motivational speaker of USA)
- Whenever you read a good book somewhere in the world, a door opens to allow in more light — Vera Nazarian ( Russian-American writer of fantasy, science fiction)
- Books are a uniquely portable magic — Stephen King ( American author).
- Books are lighthouses erected in the great sea of time — E.P. Whipple ( American essayist ).
- A parent or a teacher has only his lifetime, a good book can teach forever — Louis L’Amour (American novelist and short-story writer).
- It is books that are the key to the wide world. If you can’t do anything else, read all that you can — Jane Hamilton ( American novelist).
- Just the knowledge that a good book is awaiting one at the end of a long day makes that day happier — Kathleen Norris ( best-selling poet & essayist from Hawaii ).
- There are perhaps no days of our childhood we lived so fully as those we spent with a favourite book — Marcel Proust ( French writer).
- Every well-written book is a light for me. When you write, you use other writers and their books as guides in the wilderness — Kate DiCamillo ( American writer ).
- There is so much to a book than just the reading — Maurice Sendak ( American illustrator and writer of children’s books).
- Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers. — Charles William Eliot ( American academic)
- A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading. — William Styron ( American novelist & essayist).
- Some books should be tasted, some devoured, but only a few should be chewed and digested thoroughly — Francis Bacon (English philosopher, statesman, scientist, jurist, orator, and author. He served both as Attorney General and as Lord Chancellor of England ).
- You see, the interesting thing about books, as opposed, say, to films, is that it’s always just one person encountering the book, it’s not an audience, it’s one to one — Paul Auster (American writer).
- Books are not made to be believed, but to be subjected to inquiry. — Umberto Eco (Italian novelist, literary critic, philosopher, semiotician, and university professor).
- Many people, myself among them, feel better at the mere sight of a book — Jane Smiley ( American novelist).
- No book is really worth reading at the age of ten which is not equally – and often far more – worth reading at the age of fifty and beyond — CS. Lewis (British novelist)
- We live for books — Umberto Eco (Italian novelist, literary critic, philosopher, semiotician, and university professor).
- Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home — Anna Quindlen ( American author & journalist).
- I kept always two books in my pocket, one to read, one to write in — Robert Louis Stevenson (Scottish novelist, poet, essayist, musician and travel writer).
- Everything in the world exists in order to end up as a book — Stéphane Mallarmé ( French poet & critic ).
- I owe everything I am and everything I will ever be to books — Gary Paulsen ( American writer).
- For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet or excite you. Books help us understand who we are and how we are to behave. They show us what community and friendship mean; they show us how to live and die — Anne Lamott (American novelist and non-fiction writer. She is also a progressive political activist, public speaker, and writing teacher).
- Doctor Who: You want weapons? We’re in a library. Books are the best weapon in the world. This room’s the greatest arsenal we could have. Arm yourself ! — Russell T. Davies (Welsh screenwriter & TV producer).
- A book is made from a tree. It is an assemblage of flat, flexible parts (still called “leaves”) imprinted with dark pigmented squiggles. One glance at it and you hear the voice of another person, perhaps someone dead for thousands of years. Across the millennia, the author is speaking, clearly and silently, inside your head, directly to you. Writing is perhaps the greatest of human inventions, binding together people, citizens of distant epochs, who never knew one another. Books break the shackles of time ― proof that humans can work magic — Carl Sagan ( American astronomer and author).
- Take a good book to bed with you—books do not snore — Thea Dorn ( German writer).
- Peeing is like a good book in that it is very, very hard to stop once you start — John Green (American author, vlogger, writer, producer, actor, editor, and educator).
- Mallarme said that everything in the world exists in order to end in a book. Today everything exists to end in a photograph. — Susan Sontag (American writer, filmmaker, philosopher, teacher, and political activist).
- Books are funny little portable pieces of thought. — Susan Sontag (American writer, filmmaker, philosopher, teacher, and political activist).
What great people say about role of books on child: →
- There are many little ways to enlarge your child’s world. Love of books is the best of all. — Jacqueline Kennedy ( Wife of John F Kennedy, the 35th President of the US)
- Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him. — Maya Angelou (African-American poet, singer, memoirist, and civil rights activist).
- There is no substitute for books in the life of a child — May Ellen Chase (American educator, teacher, scholar, and author)
What great people say about library: →
- A good library will never be too neat, or too dusty, because somebody will always be in it, taking books off the shelves and staying up late reading them — Lemony Snicket ( American writer ).
- People can lose their lives in libraries. They ought to be warned — Saul Bellow ( Canadian American writer).
- I always felt if I can get to a library, it will be OK. — Maya Angelou (African-American poet, singer, memoirist, and civil rights activist).
- A library is not a luxury but one of the necessities of life. — Henry Ward Beecher (American social reformer & speaker)
- I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library — Jorge Lois Borges (Argentine short-story writer, essayist, poet and translator, and a key figure in Spanish-language literature)
- My alma mater was books, a good library…. I could spend the rest of my life reading, just satisfying my curiosity — Malcolm X (African-American Muslim minister and human rights activist).
What great people say about TV over book : →
- Successful people have libraries, the rest have big screen TV’s. — Jim Rohn (legendary motivational speaker of USA)
- Rich people have small TVs and big libraries, and poor people have small libraries and big TVs. — Zig Ziglar (legendary motivational speaker of USA)
So, Dear readers, viewers, friends, students ! How have you enjoyed the quotes about ‘Book’, collected by me ? Do comment to me. Share among your friends through Facebook & other social media.
Become a Bibliophile or Bookworm from now onwards 1
Thanks a lot for reading patiently !